Many people love appetizers. They are a great way to get the party started and they give your guests something filling but not heavy. Stuffed Peppadew peppers are a perfect appetizer. These stuffed peppers come with a perfect blend of sweetness and flavor. Peppadews are small, sweet, and tangy piquant peppers that pack a punch in flavor. This recipe is easy to prepare, with just 5 ingredients and it takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
Related post: Chicken Apple Sausage Bites
How to make Stuffed Peppadew Peppers
They’re the perfect vegetarian appetizer, and they’re really easy to make. You can either stuff them with a tasty cheese sauce or some spiced ground beef – your choice! I love that these peppadew peppers are the healthy option because they use less oil and no rice.
The dish tastes best when served with sour cream if desired. Preparing stuffed peppers takes just 30-35 minutes. It has three steps: stuffing, baking, garnishing.
- PEPPA DEWS (pickled, not jarred) – 12 ounces, cut into quarters.
- ZUCCHINI – one medium-sized zucchini sliced about an inch thick
- OLIVE OIL – a few tablespoons to coat the bottom of the pan and form a light film over it. You can also use butter if you’re not vegan.
- VEGETABLE BROTH – one to two cups, enough for the zucchini and peppers to be coated or about a third of a cup per pepper
- CHEESE OF CHOICE – I used sharp cheddar but it’s up to your preferences
- GROUND BEEF TO TASTE [optional]
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit while preparing other ingredients. Slice the zucchini into coins about an inch thick and season these with salt and pepper as desired. Cut each piece of peppadew in half lengthwise so that they will fit easily on top of the zucchini slices.
- In a small bowl, mix together ground beef with salt and pepper to taste if desired (optional). Once mixed together, form balls about an inch in diameter for each pepper half. If you are not using ground beef, feel free to substitute another filling such as cheese or rice.
- Make sure you have enough olive oil so that it coats the bottom of the pan. This will make vegetables crispy, not soggy, during cooking. Place sliced zucchini on the bottom layer then places Peppadew halves over top next to them skin-side up so that they still have their shape.
- Once all of the peppers are in place, drizzle olive oil over them and add salt to taste if desired (optional). If you have chosen ground beef for your filling then put one meatball on top of each chunk of zucchini. Bake at 350 degrees F until cooked through, about 30-35 minutes depending on how large they were cut or whether you used two pans instead.
- Lastly, be sure to sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top before serving!
*Do not overcook! The vegetables will dry out and turn into a soggy mess.*
Serve the peppers with a sour cream dipping sauce, if desired. You can also get creative with toppings like sliced avocado which makes an excellent side dish.
Stuffed Peppadew Peppers FAQs
Are peppadew peppers hot?
Peppadew peppers are not hot at all! The heat factor for these peppers is about the same as bell pepper.
Are peppadew peppers healthy?
Peppadew peppers are typically seen as a healthier option for appetizers, that is because they are low in fat and sodium.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and it gave you some inspiration for what to do with your peppers. A great thing about this recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to two days. This makes it a perfect dish if you are hosting a dinner party or just having friends over. You will need less work, so prepare yourself for an easy night! 🙂 Let me know how it goes in the kitchen!
- 21+ Delicious Breakfast Ideas with Eggs and Sausage - October 12, 2021
- 23 Sweet and Savory Breakfast Ideas with Bananas - October 12, 2021
- 21 Healthy and Easy Breakfast Ideas with Tortillas - October 12, 2021