Savory zucchini pie is a delicious and easy to make recipe that will please your guests and family! You can prepare it for any occasion, from casual dinners with friends to elegant dinner parties. I love this dish because it’s so versatile – you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand or in season. It’s also gluten-free if you use cornmeal instead of white flour as the crust base.
How to make this dish
Savory Zucchini Pie is a healthy dish that tastes wonderful. The ingredients include: olive oil, onion, garlic, zucchini (chopped), ground beef or turkey – cooked and crumbled tomatoes with basil sauce – and cheese. It sounds like an odd combination but it’s really delicious! My favorite part of the pie is when the crust bakes up to be crunchy on top. This recipe can serve six people as a side dish, four as main course meal for dinner or lunch.
- 3 cups of grated zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of light baking mix (such as bisquick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Mix eggs, zucchini, onion and garlic in a bowl.
- Add parmesan cheese, baking mix, olive oil and seasoning to the mixture. Add salt and pepper if desired. Pour into pie pan or small casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees F until it’s brown on top! Cut the pie into six equal pieces (or four) as ready to serve while hot out of oven. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- You can also use spaghetti squash instead of zucchini.
- This recipe is best served with a side dish such as green beans and corn or broccoli and cauliflower rice, to name a few.
- The key to making the perfect pie crust for this savory zucchini pie is cooking it in between two baking sheets on top of an oven rack set at its lowest position—this will prevent your bread from sticking to the bottom if you are using Bisquick or another type of premade mix! Just place one sheet pan upside down over the other–the heat will circulate more evenly around both pans so that they cook quickly and evenly without burning!
- If desired, sprinkle some extra parmesan cheese over the top before baking.
- If you want a more traditional zucchini pie, add one cup of sugar to the recipe and increase cinnamon by about half an ounce!
- Either way, this recipe is easy enough for beginners but still has plenty of flavor with its cream cheese glaze that will wow your guests at any gathering.
Savory Zucchini Pie is a great way to use the abundance of zucchinis that are in season right now. It’s also a good recipe for people who want something savory and filling after indulging in sweet treats during the holidays. If you’re into this type of food, be sure to check out my other recipes such as Zucchini pasta or Zucchini bread…!