Roasted Tomato Dill Soup with Lump Crab is a seafood lovers delight! The soup is packed full of flavour and has the perfect balance between sweet, salty, and tart.
It’s easy to make too – all you need to do is roast some tomatoes until they’re bursting with sweetness then add in some fresh herbs like dill, thyme, and parsley before adding your fish stock. Once it’s done cooking simply season it with salt and pepper to taste for that extra kick of flavour. If you’re looking for a light meal, Soup and Salad are a great addition to your evening.
How to make this meal
The recipe calls for lump crab but feel free to use any type of white fish or shellfish you prefer such as shrimp or scallops. You can also jazz up the soup by adding other ingredients like roasted red peppers or garlic cloves.
The soup is great for a light lunch or dinner and pairs well with breadsticks, garlic toast, or ciabatta. It’s the perfect dish to enjoy during springtime when fresh produce starts appearing in your local grocery store!
- 5 small/medium tomatoes
- 1 29 oz can of tomato puree
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups of broth (I used veggie, but use chicken if you’d like)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of fresh lump crab meat (optional)
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, place on the lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil olive and salt and pepper each side of tomato halves generously. Place in preheated oven for 25 minutes until slightly browned around edges. Remove from heat after time has elapsed (25 mins).
- Place cut up onion into saucepan over medium high heat with about one tablespoon of butter; cook onions stirring occasionally until they are soft, approximately five minutes. Add canned tomatoes puree to pot along with chopped dill; stir well so that it cooks down slightly but is not too watery because you will be adding broth in a minute.
- Add chicken broth (you can use vegetable if you prefer) and simmer until it is reduced by half, approximately 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before pureeing in blender until smooth consistency has been achieved. Try not to overdo this step as the soup will be too thin after being served; add some thickening agent such as cornstarch which should thicken up within just a few minutes of adding into pot with help of whisk or large spoon.
- Serve warm! Serves four people generously since there are two cups for each serving size that contains protein, carbs & vegetables all together in one dish! Enjoy your bowlful today 🙂
- You can use any type of tomato soup base or mix, such as cream of chicken, mushroom, clam chowder.
- Add a protein: shrimp (not recommended for those with shellfish allergy)
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken broth and omit the seafood to make this vegan friendly.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this Roasted Tomato Dill Soup with Lump Crab recipe. This soup is delicious, and it can be made using just a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store. The addition of lump crab makes for an incredibly satisfying meal-time experience! Do you have a favorite seafood recipe? If so, please share in the comments section below or on my blog page. Thanks again for reading!