Oat Bran muffins are one of my favorite breakfast or lunch time favorites. They are healthy, nutritious and very easy to make. I like them best with a cup of hot tea in the morning, but they also go great with soup for lunch. In this post you will find a recipe for oat bran muffins as well as some tips on how to enjoy these delicious treats!
How to make Oat Bran Muffins:
These muffins are rich and moist. The recipe is a simple one that demands only the simplest of ingredients- oat bran, eggs, butter or margarine, sugar (or any sweetener), vanilla extract. They’re also vegan friendly if you substitute soy milk for dairy milk in place of regular milk!
The taste is slightly reminiscent of a warm banana bread–soft but still dense with pockets where you can taste the sweetness from what’s inside. I love to eat these as an evening snack while reading or watching TV because they’re so easy to get into without even realizing it until I feel full! It feels like such an indulgence when really all I’m doing is eating something healthy.
- 2 1/4 cups oat bran
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 3/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons raisins, dates, or other dried fruit
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup non-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Combine the oat bran, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add baking powder to oat mixture and mix well with fork. Make sure there are no clumps of flour left or your muffins will be tough.
- In another bowl, combine mashed banana with applesauce until smooth. Mix raisins/dates into apple sauce blend (if using). Add egg to wet ingredients and whisk for one minute.
- Add orange juice, milk, canola oil to dry ingredients in first bowl and stir just until moistened but not too much as you want some craggy texture from the oats remaining intact; do not overmix! Pour batter into muffin tins coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; do not overbake! Remove from oven, let cool on wire rack before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- You can substitute blueberries for the raisins or dates if you want them sweeter.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, use regular milk plus a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- To give your muffin more flavor, add cinnamon with applesauce and orange juice in wet ingredients. Add vanilla extract instead of nutmeg in dry ingredients as well for an added taste boost! You can also try adding walnuts or other nuts to the batter too. If there’s any batter left over after making 12 muffins (or less), just pour it into a loaf pan or cake pan that has been greased with nonstick cooking spray and bake it as a cake.
I hope you enjoyed this oat bran muffin recipe. They are a healthy way to start the day and they taste great! If you want more similar recipes, here is my blog where I have tons of yummy breakfast ideas for all occasions!
- Homemade Tortilla Magic: Making Tortillas from Scratch - January 24, 2024
- Crispy Tortillas on the Stove: Quick Guide - January 24, 2024
- Thaw Tortillas Quickly: How to Defrost Frozen Tortillas - January 24, 2024