Do you love mushrooms? But are not a fan of the canned soup? Well, this recipe is for you! This easy to make and healthy mushroom soup will have your family coming back for seconds. Not only is it delicious but it’s also super affordable. If you’re looking for an easy, homemade soup to warm up with on these cold winter nights, then look no further than this Mushroom Soup Recipe!
How to cook Mushroom Soup:
Mushroom soup is one of my favorite soups because it’s healthy and flavorful. I love the umami flavor from the mushrooms, but what really makes this recipe special are the herbs that go into this mushroom soup. Parsley, thyme and a bay leaf give off an earthy scent with just a hint of spice to make this soup perfect for a cold winter night.
The taste of this mushroom soup is what makes it so unique; the herbs give off an earthy note that complements the mushrooms perfectly, and if you love vegetables then this recipe will be your go-to! The umami flavor from the mushrooms mixed with hearty root veggies like potatoes make for a great meal that will keep you and your family warm all winter long.
- 3 8oz packages of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup of chopped sweet onion
- 1 15oz can of cannellini beans
- 3-4 cups of vegetable broth/stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- *special equipment: Blender and/or emersion blender
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Start by sauteeing your mushrooms in a soup pot for about ten minutes with some olive oil and salt. Add the onion to the pan, stirring occasionally until it becomes translucent.
- Add the thyme, beans, vegetable broth/stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for fifteen minutes uncovered before adding any additional spices or seasonings (salt and pepper).
- Stir well then blend using an emersion blender until smooth – this will also help thicken up what could be a bit of thin soup base! Taste test again as you add different herbs or spice combinations if needed.
- Once desired level of thickness is achieved heat on low for another five minutes before serving warm with fresh bread or crack ers.
- Serve with a light salad or your favorite side dish for an easy, healthy and tasty meal!
Tips and Tricks
- Use a one to two pound package of fresh, sliced mushrooms
- Keep the thyme leaves whole and minced before adding them in. They will flavor the broth nicely without having to add any additional spices or seasoning!
- Add salt and pepper with caution as you are able to control how much is added at this stage by tasting test. If needed, adjust after it has been blended smooth again so that all ingredients can be enjoyed equally.
- Make sure there is plenty of liquid for cooking when making soup base – more than just water. Vegetable broths/stocks work well here but remember it could also include some cream depending on what your preferences are (this would make it slightly thicker). Stir often while simmering.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you want more like it, check out my blog for other soup recipes and tips on how to make the best Soup! Have a great day 🙂
- 21+ Delicious Breakfast Ideas with Eggs and Sausage - October 12, 2021
- 23 Sweet and Savory Breakfast Ideas with Bananas - October 12, 2021
- 21 Healthy and Easy Breakfast Ideas with Tortillas - October 12, 2021