Hi there! I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today. If you’re looking for a way to spice up your dishes in the kitchen, sun dried tomatoes are a great option. You can use sun-dried tomatoes for cooking pizza, pasta… or many other dishes. Or using it as a garnish and they are really easy to make on your own!
How to make DIY Sun Dried Tomatoes
Homemade Sun Dried Tomatoes are a great addition to pasta dishes or pizzas. One of my favorite things about this recipe is how versatile it is! You can even use them as a topping for salads, soups, and sandwiches. A lot of store-bought sun dried tomatoes have added salt in order to retain their bright red color and flavor. The problem with that is too much sodium isn’t good for your health so making your own lets you control the amount of salt used which also leads to fresher tasting sun dried tomatoes.
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 225 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Next, evenly space the halved tomatoes on the baking sheet – this will help them dry out more quickly in the oven. Drizzle olive oil over top of them so they’re coated from end to end. Season generously with salt & Italian seasoning then toss until everything’s blended together nicely.(If there are any extra seasonings or herbs that you want to use such as basil, parsley or thyme for example – by all means add it!)
- Place into oven and set timer for about 45 minutes but keep an eye on things because times can vary depending on how thick/small your tomatoes are.
- Once the timer goes off, remove from oven and let cool for a little bit then serve!
You can store these in an airtight container or wrap them up with some parchment paper before storing in the fridge. They will last for about two weeks (some say even longer) so enjoy as you’d like and they’re perfect to add into salads, pasta dishes, sandwiches – anything that calls for tomato sauce is fair game too :)!
Tips and Tricks
*Tip: You can make these in advance to use for later meals. This is a great idea if you are trying to cut down on food waste and prep time!
*Tricks of the Trade: Try adding herbs like parsley, thyme or basil. You can also add salt, pepper and garlic powder into the mix before baking them off too!
I want to thank you for joining me on this culinary journey. Not only did it give us a chance to learn how to make homemade Sun Dried Tomatoes, but also allowed us the opportunity to get creative with ingredients and create flavors that we might not have tried otherwise. What other recipes would you like me to share? Let me know in the comments below!