It’s summer, and that means it’s time to break out the blender. I’m not talking about a protein shake, but something much more refreshing–a cucumber cooler! This drink is light and tasty with just the right amount of spice. It pairs well with nearly any dish you whip up for dinners such as glazed salmon, chicken chili, or picnics this summer. Plus, it’s easy to make in bulk so you can enjoy it all week long!
How to make this drink
Cucumbers are packed with vitamin A and low in calories, so it’s a refreshing summer drink that doesn’t break the calorie bank. I like to use cucumber juice because even though you can press them yourself using an electric juicer or food processor, they’re often cheaper than pre-pressed ones.
The spices add just enough flavor without being too spicy for those who don’t want their palate overwhelmed. You can adjust all amounts based on your personal taste preferences–just go light at first until you have what works best for you!
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1/2 cup mint sprigs
- 1 continental cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 tsp bitters
- 6 cups (1.5L) lemonade or soda water
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Slice the lemon and lime into thin slices. Place in a large pitcher, sprinkle with caster sugar and add mint sprigs to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Add cucumber ribbons (reserve some slices). Stir together gently, then pour over crushed ice in serving glasses or tumblers. Top off each glass with bitters followed by soda water or lemonade iced tea mix of choice before stirring again. Garnish drink with reserved citrus peel twists if desired!
Tips and Tricks
- Add a splash of gin or vodka to make it even more refreshing!
- For an extra spicy taste, add some freshly diced jalapeno peppers.
- If you want this drink to be sweeter, replace the sugar with honey iced tea mix for added flavor.
- Use regular cucumber instead of English cucumbers which tend to have thicker skin and are not as juicy. This will give your cooler a bit more punch and crunchiness on the tongue without sacrificing too much juiciness from using something like seedless watermelon – another great summertime fruit that can also sub in for these drinks!
- Serve this drink cold with ice and a nice straw !
I hope you enjoy this refreshing drink! If you are looking for more recipes that use cucumbers, check out my blog. The menu is updated daily with new and interesting ways to prepare the humble summer vegetable. Cucumber Cooler is one of my favorite drinks when it’s hot outside because it doesn’t contain any sugar or artificial flavors. It includes only natural ingredients like fresh lemon juice and mint leaves. Give this recipe a try today!
- 21+ Delicious Breakfast Ideas with Eggs and Sausage - October 12, 2021
- 23 Sweet and Savory Breakfast Ideas with Bananas - October 12, 2021
- 21 Healthy and Easy Breakfast Ideas with Tortillas - October 12, 2021