This creamy butternut squash and apple soup is out of this world. I know, I already said it was the best thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life, but it’s true. It tastes like autumn in a bowl! This recipe is quick and easy to make with minimal ingredients (and minimal clean up!) so you can whip up a pot for dinner or serve it as an appetizer at your next party. It’s vegan, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and perfect for any diet type!
How to make Creamy Butternut Squash and Apple soup
This soup is perfect for the Fall. It’s warm, hearty and tastes like everything you want in a fall meal all wrapped up into one bowl of squashy goodness. I love it because it’s made with good-for-you ingredients – things that are both nutritious and healthy for your body!
The first thing you will notice about this butternut squash soup recipe is how creamy it gets when cooked down to make the broth. That creaminess comes from pureed cashews which give it an added boost of protein too (and who doesn’t need more protein?) The sweetness also comes from apple juice, honey or maple syrup depending on what you have available at home. Plus there’s some cinnamon mixed in to give it that perfect fall flavor.
The recipe is pretty simple – all you need to do is cut up a butternut squash and some apples, mix with water in a pot then simmer for 20-30 minutes depending on what consistency you like your soup. Once the whole mixture has turned into one giant bowl of goodness, just blend everything together until smooth then add salt or more cinnamon as needed. This recipe also makes about four servings so feel free to double it if you are cooking for a family!
- 2 large apples, something slightly sweet and tart
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs of coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp of salt. Maybe more for your taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cut up your apple, squash and onion into bite size pieces (roughly one inch) then place them in a baking dish with coconut oil and mix together until they are well coated. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until everything is soft but not mushy.
- In another pot over medium heat add water, vegetable broth, cashews, cumin-coriander–ginger–cayenne pepper–salt and bring to boil while reducing heat as needed so that it doesn’t spatter everywhere. Once boiling pour mixture through strainer making sure you get all of those yummy spices out! After adding this mixture to the pot with the cooked apple-squash mixture, add chopped kale and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat again so it doesn’t spatter everywhere!
- Once boiling reduce heat again (again!), then wait until you hear that heavenly sound of soup simmering – or is that just me? Add salt to taste as well as your choice of toppings for extra deliciousness. Enjoy solo or share with friends over glasses and plates of boozy drinks on Friday nights in front of Netflix/Hulu/Netflix because no one wants to cook when they’re hangry and tired from work during those cold winter days 😤😩
If you want to try out this recipe, give it a shot. It’s easy and delicious! You won’t regret trying this soup on the cold autumn or winter days that are coming soon. For more simple butternut squash recipes like this one, visit my blog now for all of our latest posts.
- Homemade Tortilla Magic: Making Tortillas from Scratch - January 24, 2024
- Crispy Tortillas on the Stove: Quick Guide - January 24, 2024
- Thaw Tortillas Quickly: How to Defrost Frozen Tortillas - January 24, 2024