Canned lentils are a convenience item that merits co-star attention here. Serve this spiky-savory salad as a main dish or side.
Hot-smoked salmon has a flakier, more “roasted” texture than cold-smoked, lox-style salmon, though in a pinch, the latter works just fine. Here, it can be flaked apart or chopped and then folded into the salad, or you can simply serve it alongside the lentils.
How to make Black Lentil and Smoked Trout Salad
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary plus 2 (6-inch) sprigs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup fruity olive oil plus more for brushing
Soak 2 cups of wood chips (apple, cherry or mesquite) in warm water for 30 minutes.
Rinse trout and pat dry.
Meat side up, season fillets with above ingredients.
Preheat barbeque grill on high for 5 minutes.
Remove chips from water and spread onto grill rocks.
Close cover. Let chips smoke well.
Place fish in grill basket or directly on highest shelf, meat side up, and turn grill to low setting.
Keep cover closed. Smoke about 20 minutes.
Do not let fish overcook. Place fillets around lentil salad and greens.
Top with lemon confit and some of its juice.
- 21+ Delicious Breakfast Ideas with Eggs and Sausage - October 12, 2021
- 23 Sweet and Savory Breakfast Ideas with Bananas - October 12, 2021
- 21 Healthy and Easy Breakfast Ideas with Tortillas - October 12, 2021