It’s that time of year again. The best holiday of the year is coming up, and you know what that means: it’s party time! Friends are getting together to celebrate, family members are reuniting, and food is on the menu for everyone. No matter where you go this season, there will be a cheese ball waiting for you with our recipe in hand. This particular dish has been perfected over many years by some of the most influential names in blogging history – we guarantee it’ll be a hit at your next soiree!
How to make the perfect Cheese Balls
The flavors of this cheese ball are amazing! There is just the right amount of sweetness from the cranberries and savory flavor from Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. The horseradish gives it a little kick that makes you want to eat another piece or two. It’s also super easy to make ahead of time so you can spend your holiday party enjoying yourself instead of slaving in front of the stove!
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red pepper, drained (optional)
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and sour cream. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and horseradish to taste; mix well until smooth. Stir in red peppers if desired. Cover with plastic wrap or sealable container lid and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving since it needs time to set up so you can form the balls easily without them crumbling apart.
- Remove from fridge and let sit on countertop for about 15 minutes before rolling into balls (it will still be pretty firm). Roll into golf ball sized rounds using your hands – this is where an extra person helps out! Place each round onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and return to refrigerator while preparing next batch of balls.
- Mix the cheddar cheese with the dry breadcrumbs in a small bowl, then add green onion and chopped parsley. Stir to combine thoroughly – if it isn’t mixed well all of the crumbs will not stick together when you roll them into balls! Roll these in your hands until they are golf ball sized as well before placing on baking sheet with other cheese rounds. Return to refrigerator or freezer for about 15 minutes.
- In another medium bowl mix an egg yolk with some water (to make an egg wash). Take each round from fridge/freezer and pat off any excess moisture, then brush entire surface lightly with egg wash using a pastry brush; this is what helps give that golden brown crust once cooked.
- Roll each round in a spice blend of paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes until golden brown on top (watch closely!) Serve with crackers or veggie sticks!
I hope you enjoy this delicious best cheese ball ever recipe and find it a wonderful addition to your holiday party. If you looking for a new flavor to your upcoming family party, try the Savory Zucchini Pie. It’s great when combining with the cheeses balls. If you like this post, please share with friends or family that may also be looking for some new appetizers ideas! Have any other tasty recipes on offer? Check out my blog posts below for more of our favorite dishes!