A good meal can bring people together in the kitchen to work on a dish, share thoughts, or just have a little chat. A great meal does all that and more, but it also has the power to share a message with anyone who is lucky enough to try out this Asparagus and Mango Quinoa Salad.
Quinoa is a healthy and versatile grain that can be made into many different dishes. One of my favorites is this Asparagus and Mango Quinoa Salad Recipe. This meal has just the right amount of tang from feta cheese, sweetness from mango, and freshness from asparagus to make it an easy but still tasty dish. Asparagus and mango pair wonderfully together in this hearty dish. The quinoa provides a great source of protein to keep you full for hours, while also adding some complex carbohydrates to power your day. This is the perfect recipe if you are looking for an easy, healthy lunch that will last all week!
How to make Asparagus and Mango Quinoa Salad
This recipe combines the sweetness of the mango with the savory asparagus for an unforgettable dish. This salad is full of great flavors with the help of an easy-to-make marinade that includes lemon juice, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Prepare the quinoa and let it cook while you prepare everything else.
- Quinoa, measured according to package instructions (I find it’s best for me when I use a rice cooker)
- Asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces and cooked until tender
- Mango, peeled and diced into cubes or small slices depending on preference. It can also be chopped finely if you don’t have a food processor.
- Lemon juice, about half of the lemon squeezed, or if you don’t want to measure then just use more than you would think is necessary
- Honey (or sugar for those with dietary restrictions)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste – Optional: Seeds such as flax, sesame, or pumpkin.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions and add in a little extra water if necessary (I find it’s best when I use my rice cooker)
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Let it simmer for about a minute, and then add the chopped asparagus to cook another few minutes.
- Add in the diced mango (or more if you like)
- Season with salt, pepper. honey or sugar and lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients together on medium heat until everything is warmed through – be careful not to burn it! If necessary just turn down the heat. You want your quinoa warm but not too hot that it will kill your stomach later.
- Add in the frozen edamame, asparagus pieces, and mango. If you’re using fresh mango, wait until the quinoa is cool or it will turn to mush.
- Just before serving top with chopped avocados and crumbled feta cheese.
Tips and Trick to Make a perfect Asparagus and Mango Quinoa Salad
It is best served at room temperature, so I recommend eating within one hour of preparation time after it cools off from the cooking point.
This is a vegan and gluten-free option for those who have food restrictions or would like to try something different! You can substitute quinoa with another grain if desired.
For a heartier dish, add crumbled tempeh or sautéed shrimp to the salad before you serve it for dinner. To make this dish even healthier, swap out some of the quinoa for cooked brown rice!
If you want to use fresh asparagus instead of frozen, make sure to buy a bunch of asparagus and cut off the tough ends. You want to use about 14 ounces, or three cups of raw trimmed asparagus spears per one cup cooked quinoa.
I hope you enjoyed this Asparagus and Mango Quinoa Salad! This meal is perfect for family dinners, potlucks, and vegan-friendly gatherings. You should keep this Asparagus and Mango Quinoa Salad in mind if you’re looking for a main dish to round out your meal. Pair it with my Smoked Trout Flatbread! In the meantime, please share with us what you think about this dish by leaving a comment below!