This spring, I want to share my family recipe with you. Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata is a hearty dish that tastes best when made in the morning before work so it has enough time for the flavors to meld together. It can be served hot or cold depending on what season of life you’re currently living through; and because everything goes better with some freshly-squeezed lemon juice, this frittata will make any day brighter!
How to make this dish
The Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata is the perfect dish for brunch or breakfast because it’s easy but still elegant enough to impress your guests. The frittata can be prepared ahead of time, refrigerated until you’re ready to pop it in the oven!
This recipe calls for asparagus so make sure that they are fresh – not too hard nor mushy at all; this will affect their cooking time significantly! I also like adding some crumbles of goat cheese/feta just before serving which gives them more texture. If you don’t have either one , it’s still delicious without them!
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk any type
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces goat cheese or feta
Step-by-step cooking instruction:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil, asparagus and pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes or until soft enough to mash with fork but still crisp. (The time will vary depending on thickness and freshness). Remove from pan into bowl or plate. Add goat cheese/feta if using it now!
- Mix eggs milk, seasonings in separate bowl before adding them together with egg whites in same bowl while whisking vigorously after each addition so that they form stiff peaks that curl when beaters are lifted out of mixture. Fold in cooked veggie mix gently – keeping some chunks intact is nice 🙂
- Pour mixture into a medium round cake pan (or use baking sheet with edges) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing into wedges to serve.
Tips and tricks for making this meal perfectly:
- Asparagus and goat cheese are a natural pairing, but you can use any type of cheese (or none at all)
- You don’t have to feel limited by vegetables in the frittata. Any vegetable or combination of vegetables will work!
- If using fresh herbs like parsley, thyme, oregano etc., add them just before baking so they stay bright green/fresh looking. Use dried herbs if your recipe calls for them– this dish is not only vegetarian friendly it’s vegan friendly too!
- A little bit goes a very long way with salt – be sparing when seasoning because once baked eggs soak up flavors quickly 🙂
- You could also make half the volume and freeze left overs!
- If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding a little bit of bacon or ham to the recipe for that extra savory flavor.
If you’re looking for a new recipe to try, give this one a shot. It’s delicious and easy to make! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And don’t forget to comment below with your thoughts on the dish or any substitutions that would work well in place of what is listed here. Happy cooking!