It’s that time of year again! The leaves are changing colors, the air is crisp and cool, and it seems like there is a hint of apple cider in the air. Fall has always been my favorite season because I love all the warm flavors you can make with apples: apple pie, caramel apple tartlets, Chicken Apple Sausage Bites…
But now we’re talking about oatmeal. As much as I love fall flavors, sometimes they can be a little heavy for breakfast – but not this Apple Harvest Oatmeal recipe! It feels more like summer than fall while still giving you those cozy autumn vibes to help get your day off on the right foot. Plus it tastes amazing too!
How to make this awesome oatmeal
Apple Harvest Oatmeal is a delicious dish full of vitamins and antioxidants. It tastes great hot or cold, and it can be served for breakfast as well as dessert! This recipe was loved by the whole family during apple season when you’re sick with a virus. The ingredients are easy to find in your grocery store; all you’ll need are some apples, a little water and an egg.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- *In a saucepan, stir together the milk and water. Bring to boiling over high heat. Stir in oats; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about five minutes or until thickened.
- *Reduce heat to low, add apples, raisins and brown sugar. Cook on low for two more minutes while stirring occasionally then remove from stovetop when done cooking.
- *Stir in cinnamon at this time too! Serve hot with a little bit of cream if desired!
Tips and Tricks
- *The milk and water ratio should be two parts liquid to one part oats.
- *If you want a really thick oatmeal, use less liquids but don’t cook it for as long. If you like your oatmeal thinner, more runny or more soupy, add more liquid.
- *For added sweetness, try adding brown sugar in place of the raisins! Raisins are great because they offer some natural sourness that balances out the sweet flavor from the apples. This also helps prevent them from becoming too soggy after cooking.
- *To start off with an extra health boost for this recipe, mix up some fresh fruit into your plain yogurt before topping on top of apple harvest porridge! Berries might be the perfect addition to this oatmeal recipe, but don’t feel limited just because it’s winter time.
I hope you enjoyed this Apple Harvest Oatmeal recipe! The next time it’s apple season, make sure to try these delicious recipes. If you’re looking for more like them, check out my blog. You can find all of the latest and greatest foodie news in one place with me as your guide!
- 21+ Delicious Breakfast Ideas with Eggs and Sausage - October 12, 2021
- 23 Sweet and Savory Breakfast Ideas with Bananas - October 12, 2021
- 21 Healthy and Easy Breakfast Ideas with Tortillas - October 12, 2021